Steve Mower - Updated October 6, 2021
Anti-Reflective Coatings (AR)
Better Optical Quality and Appearance
All quality lenses whether in telescopes, binoculars, and your smart phone's camera, have an anti-reflective coating. There is no such thing as 100% non-glare lenses but anti-reflective coatings for eyeglasses reduce reflections and glare. They look nicer and you get clearer vision.
- Anti-Reflective (AR) Coatings, or "Non-Glare" coatings are designed to increase the optical quality of lenses by "pulling" more light through the lenses.
- Typically, standard, non-blublock AR coatings pull over 99.95% of light through the lens.
- A lens without AR will typically reflect off about 20% of the light hitting it.
- For eyeglass lenses this can look unsightly as people can see a lot of reflections off the front surface of the lenses.
- AR coated lenses look almost totally clear with very little reflection.
How do you know if a lens has an AR coating?
- If you look at the lens straight on it will look very clear.
- Held to a slight angle you will see a shimmer of color. The color can be a mix of blue, green, yellow, purple depending on the combinations of minerals used in the AR stack.
- An AR stack is is the multiple layers of coatings that "pull" the light through the lens.
- Different manufacturers have their own AR stacks.
- High quality AR coatings also have other layers of coatings that make the lenses more scratch resistant, block more UV, and make the lenses less easy to smudge and easier to clean (hydrophobic coatings).
About Zoom meetings and lighting. A standard AR coating works best. Certain lights like ring lights can cause visible reflections. You can reduce this either by repositioning the light source or switching to a fluorescent light.
ANTI-REFLECTIVE LENS TYPES
Standard AR Coatings
BluBlock AR Coatings
Blue Filter Lenses with Standard AR Coatings
Blue Filter Lenses with BluBlock AR Coatings (Hybrid)
Blue light reflected of of BluBlock AR Coatings can be seen:
Our Lenses with AR Coatings
BLUBLOCK AR LENS NAME
|Mojo BluBlock AR||~25%||YES||$15|
|Apex BluBlock AR-T||~33%||YES||$20|
|Zenspex BluBlock 1.6 AR||~80%||YES||$50|
|Kodak Total Blue 1.6 AR||~87%||YES||$80|
|STANDARD AR LENS NAME||~TOTAL HEV||BLUE FLASH||OPTION $|
|Mojo BluFilter Standard AR||~20%||NO||$50|
|Crizal Rock BluFilter Standard AR||>20%||NO||$100|
|Mojo Standard AR||0.0%||NO||$15|
|Mojo Ultrathin 1.67 Standard AR||0.0%||NO||$60|
See our AR Lenses Specifications
Read our BluBlock Guide for help in selecting the right blue block option option for you.
Steve Mower is a licensed dispensing Optician and creator of Mojo BluBlock Tints. Steve has over 30 years experience in the optical field. He has been a optical retail manager and has consulted on progressive lens development. Steve has been offering unique reading glasses solutions on-line since 2010. Steve is a member of Opticians Association of Virginia and Opticians Association of America.