News and Readiculous Blog
We have reduced our shipping rates for our international customers!
Over the last several years we have seen a dramatic increase in shipping rates both for here in the US and for International shipments.
Here are some basics about how we ship, our pricing, and discounts-
U.S.A. - Free shipping to all US customers in all states and territories.
- USPS First Class or Priority Mail depending on the weight.
- Rates have gone up by about 25% over the last 2 years.
- Our costs for a typical order of one pair of glasses with case, cloth, cleaner average ~$3.00. 2-3 pairs can run as high as $10.50.
Canada - $10.00 flat rate per order to Canadian customers.
- USPS First Class International.
- Previously the rate was only $5.00 but rates increased dramatically last year by about 50%!
- Our costs for a typical order of one pair of glasses with case, cloth, cleaner is ~$12.00. 2-3 pairs can run as high as $15.00.
- Our Flat Rate of $10.00 includes a discount of from $2.00 to $5.00.
All Other International - Flat Rates based on total weight* with discounts.
- USPS First Class International.
- Previously the rates were based on real-time shipping by weight, but did not include our discount.
- Any order under 8 ounces is now $10.00. (Regular rate is $13.06)
- From 8 ounces to 2.25lbs is now $18.61. (Regular rate is $21.61)
- From 2.25 to 3lbs is now $29.06. (Regular rate is $32.06)
*About Flat Rate International Shipping Weight.
- A typical pair of glasses ships with a hard case, a bottle of eyeglass cleaner, and a cleaning cloth. The average weight is about 10 ounces in a 7x4x2" box.
- Budget Blue Block Readers ship with micro-fiber cloth cases and one bottle of cleaner per order. These average 8 ounces or less.
- Accessories are light weight and are usually much less than 8 ounces.
- Frequently we run multi-pair discounts which can reduce your over-all cost with shipping. For example, if you purchase 4 pairs of glasses you get a 25% discount which will reduce your overall cost substantially.
Why do we only use USPS?
- The prices are comparatively fantastic. Other carriers don't even come close.
- USPS is extremely reliable. Thousands of packages shipped and only 2 "lost".
- Shipments are tracked.
- We support the United States Postal Service because of their great history, their support of small businesses like ours, and because they offer good jobs to American citizens with good benefits.
Can I expedite my order to a faster shipping method?
You can but the cost is much greater and you won't see it delivered much faster. We custom craft your glasses which takes time. Once they are ready to ship, it could save you a couple of days to go to expedited shipping but for 3 times the price? We can do this if you want, just Contact Us.
The US government (R) attack on USPS- a bit dated but worthwhile- http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2015/10/the-right-wings-assault-on-the-post-office-smashing-the-myth-that-its-in-financial-trouble.html
Good Reading- http://savethepostoffice.com/recommended-reading-2/
Contemporary frame styles in great shapes and colors. Wear them with jeans, or gussied up for a night on the town. Our new Ecru Eyewear line offers exciting styles for women with hand made acetate frames in great colors and color combinations. Many of the shapes are refined retro shapes like the one above, cat-eye, [...]
Our brains interpret our sensory data by filling in the blanks. Take a look at this image of strawberries for example.What color are the strawberries? Your brain is probably telling you that they are red or reddish, but there is no red in this image. From Neatorama: "We know that strawberries are red, or at least they [...]
If you need some help regarding how to choose the right blue block lens options, we have some updates.We have updated our page on how to choose blue block lens options. If we could develop an App for this we would but everyone is different and has various combinations of vision issues. We have created a [...]
We have recently updated our website from http to https secure. Google and other search engines are now requiring websites to go to site-wide https, rather than just on secure pages like check out.We have instituted this to be in compliance and everything looks like it is working properly. In most browsers, you will see [...]
We have just released the new New Kodak Total Blue 1.6AR lenses as an option on all of our full frames.This is a new hybrid blue block lens from Kodak. It is twice as effective as our Mojo and Apex BluBlock AR lenses. They include:1.6 high index lens material with a special monomer built in [...]
We have received numerous requests recently for a particular lens tint from Brain Power Inc, called BPI 500/550. Here is the lowdown.Brain Power Inc is a lens tint manufacturer. Many, but not all of our lens dyes are from BPI, and we use them in special combinations with our polycarbonate lenses to achieve the optimal [...]
After the coming Zombie Apocalypse(TM) we are going to have find ways to make our own basic necessities. Food, clothing, and of course, eyeglasses. Here's how... From the How to Make Everything YouTube channel: How to Make Eyeglasses. It's not simple and it take a lot of time. It is really cool that he is attempting this [...]
You can now get our Mojo Polycarbonate lenses in Photo Grey AR! Our Photo Grey AR lenses lighten and darken based on the amount of UV light they are absorbing. Indoors they have a light, 1% grey tint. Outdoors they can darken up to about an 80% tint depth. These lenses are polycarbonate with a UV400 [...]
We have introduced 2 more new lines from Vivid Eyewear. The first is the Metro Collection which consists of styles for men and women priced at $49.00 in acetate with spring hinges. The Vivid Metro line is a nice collection of classic, retro, and fashion frames. The second new line from Vivid Eyewear is a small [...]